Completion of my Italian Language Course | "Learning stage" vs. "Productivity stage"


Immersing oneself in a new culture goes beyond the culinary world and must-see tourist attractions. Rather, the cornerstone of understanding a new culture is through language. For this reason, I challenged myself by enrolling in Bocconi’s intensive Italian language course. During this experience, I gained basic language skills that could help me navigate my way through each day in Milan. While the topics covered gave me greater confidence to spark conversation with native Italians, I quickly realized my rudimentary Italian was not enough to build relationships with locals and immerse myself in the culture. The language barrier became an obstacle between me and my goal of adapting to Italian Culture.

Over the years, my family and I have hosted many international students from around the world. Most of these students struggle with the language barrier when they first arrive in Canada. This makes it difficult for my family and I to build relationships with these students who are living with us. I always do my best to be empathetic. I would try to assist these students with their English and help acclimatize them to Canadian culture. Reflecting on these experiences with our international students made me realize even more how difficult it is to adapt to a new culture and learn a new language.

The challenges inherent with the language barrier were unfamiliar to me, as I have grown up speaking English in a majority anglophone country. It made me reflect on the importance of being comfortable with discomfort, as you must step outside of your comfort zone and become vulnerable in order to learn a new language. Walking up to an Italian and asking for assistance is no easy task, which truly surprised me. However, these feelings are part of the “learning stage” and can be applied to any topic you want to learn and master. Navigating and embracing these challenges is key to entering the "productivity stage”.

When learning a new topic, it is essential to remind yourself that you are learning. In the “learning stage”, you must set realistic expectations for yourself. The “learning stage” is about being vulnerable, open-minded and uncomfortable. On the other hand, the “productivity stage” is about using your new skill to your advantage. When you have an understanding of a new topic you can now use that skill to be more productive and efficient in your daily life.

As an outgoing personality, I thrive off of social situations, connecting with others helps me learn and provides me with energy, positivity and happiness. This is perhaps the main reason why I felt a great sense of frustration when moving to Milan, as the ease of connecting with people was removed without sharing a common language. That said, I channelled my frustrations into a greater motivation to overcome the language barrier and become conversationally proficient in Italian. Learning never stops. Reminding myself that I was in the "learning stage" removed pressure and this allowed me to quickly reach the "productivity stage" of interacting with others.

I found the best way to learn Italian was to practice. I quickly realized that my pace was not enough to keep up and understand a native Italian. My key takeaway is that the welcoming and open nature of Italians makes them more than willing to slow down and help you. I can now order food, give directions, and make other daily requests in Italian. This was a great way to learn the language and enjoy delicious food and drink at the same time!

Overall, learning a new language is highly beneficial and I recommend everyone to take on this challenge. There are great apps out there such as Duolingo that offer free language learning services. I am excited to have completed this beginner course. I plan to continue practicing my Italian and I hope to learn more languages in the future.

Overall, when learning something new, take your time and remind yourself that you are in the “learning stage”, this will help you reach your goals and enter the “productivity stage”. Being vulnerable, open-minded and willing to learn has helped me meet some amazing locals, learn more about Italian culture and enhance my overall experience while in the country!





Comments

Popular Posts